This course is designed for WebSphere Application Server (WAS) systems support staff planning to upgrade version 8.5, from V6.1 or V7.0.
Before attending this migration course, delegates should have:
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows (for the hands on exercises) including the use of command prompt, Windows Explorer, starting and stopping services, editing files with Notepad or similar and using a web browser.
- Hands on familiarity with the installation, configuration and administration of WAS 6.1 or later – preferably the Network Deployment edition.
- Delegates with no prior experience of WAS should first attend the WebSphere Application Server V8.5.5 Administration - WA855G course.
1 day consisting of lectures, discussions and hands on lab exercises.
This course is available on site only. Please call for details.
The course covers the differences between the new WAS V8.5 and previous releases and introduces delegates to the new capabilities provided by V8.5, focusing particularly on those related to installation, configuration, administration, and on the practical steps and supporting tools involved in a trouble-free migration. Considerations for application migration will also be discussed, including the use of the WebSphere Application Migration Tool, but this is not the primary focus
This course is most suitable for someone already familiar with the installation, configuration and administration of WAS 6.1 or 7.0. WAS V8.5 includes some new features known collectively as Intelligent Management, which are not be covered in detail on this course. Those who are interested in implementing these new capabilities can attend a course specifically designed to cover this topic; WebSphere Application Server 8.5 Intelligent Management.
At the end of this course, delegates will:
- Understand the major differences between WAS 8.5 and earlier versions, particularly those that are important to a version-to-version migration.
- Be able to plan and execute a WAS version-to-version runtime migration.
- Understand the major considerations for an application migration and be able to advise developers on the use of the appropriate tooling.
- Be aware of the advanced capabilities newly available in WAS 8.5, such as Health Management, Dynamic Clustering and Application Edition Management.
- Know where to find further information, including formal documentation, and relevant Redbooks, and support routes.
WAS 8.5 Technical Overview
Evolution of WAS capabilities from WAS 6.1 to 8.5.
IBM Installation Manager.
Other changes important for migration.
Overview of Intelligent Management, Liberty Profile, etc...
Planning a Version-to-Version Migration
Migration project plan.
Common migration issues.
Approaches to migrating the runtime.
Using the Configuration Migration Tool.
Runtime migration issues.
Delegates will install WAS 8.5 and then migrate a profile from WAS 6.1 to 8.5 using the CMT.
Common application migration issues.
J2EE to JEE migration.
Installing the WAMT.
Using the Software Analyzer.
Delegates will install the WAMT and explore its features.
Ensuring a Successful WAS Migration
Sources of training, information (Infocenter, Redbooks, DeveloperWorks) and user groups.
Planning your migration.
Migration services from IBM and others.
How to obtain the best support from IBM.