Gain the knowledge and skills necessary to guide a test automation project, and differentiate yourself in one of the fastest growing areas of Software Testing.
The ISTQB Advanced Test Automation Engineer class is aimed at:
- Experienced testers looking to develop expertise in test automation.
- Test Managers needing the skills to plan and lead automation projects.
- Test Automation professionals wanting to accredit their skills for recognition by employers, clients and peers.
Automation is a key skill for the modern tester. This course enables you to accredit your automation skills and build a solid understanding the concepts, methods and processes for automating tests. You will gain insights into the complex landscape of test automation tools, learning methods that are applicable across a number of development approaches and platforms.
This course connects the relationships of the tests to the crucial areas of software development processes, quality assurance, and test configuration and defect management.
On completion, students will have all the information needed to successfully sit the corresponding exam to become an accredited ISTQB Advanced Test Automation Engineer.
- Contribute to the development of a plan to integrate automated testing within the testing process.
- Evaluate tools and technology for automation best fit to each project and organisation.
- Create an approach for building a test automation architecture (TAA).
- Design and develop test automation solutions that meet business needs.
- Enable the transition of testing from a manual to an automated approach.
- Create automated test reporting and metrics collection.
- Analyse a system under test to determine the appropriate solution.
- Analyse test automation tools for a given project and report technical findings and recommendations.
- Analyse factors of implementation, use, and maintenance requirements for a given Test Automation Solution.
- Analyse deployment risks and identify technical issues that could lead to failure of the test automation project.
- Verify the correctness of an automated environment.
- Verify the correct behaviour for a given automated test script and/or test suite.
The Advanced Level Test Automation Engineer exam is comprised of 40 multiple choice questions, with a pass mark grade of 65%, to be completed within 90 minutes. The examination is separate from the 3 day course and sat on a different day.
Introduction and Objectives for Test Automation
Purpose and Success Factors of Test Automation
Preparing for Test Automation
System Under Test Factors Influencing Test Automation
Tool Evaluation and Selection
Design for Testability and Automation
The Generic Test Automation Architecture
Introduction and Overview of Test Automation Architecture
Test Generation Layer
Test Definition Layer
Test Execution Layer
Test Adaptation Layer
Configuration Management of a Test Automation Solution
Project Management of a Test Automation Solution
Test Automation Solution Support for Test Management
Test Automation Architecture Design
Introduction to Test Automation Architecture Design
Approaches for Automating Test Cases
Technical considerations of the System Under Test
Considerations for Development/QA Processes
Test Automation Solution Development
Introduction to Test Automation Solution Development
Compatibility between the Test Automation Solution and the System Under Test
Synchronisation between Test Automation Solution and System Under Test
Building Reuse into the Test Automation Solution
Support for Target Systems
Deployment Risks and Contingencies
Selection of Test Automation Approach and Planning of Rollout
Deployment of the Test Automation Soulution Within the Software Lifecycle
Risk Assessment and Mitigation
Test Automation Maintenance
Types of Maintenance
Scope and Approach
Test Automation Reporting & Metrics
Selection of Solution Metrics
Implementation of Measurement
Logging of the Test Automation Solution and the System Under Test
Test Automation Reporting
Transitioning Manual Testing to an Automated Environment
Criteria for Automation
Identify Steps Needed to Implement Automation within Regression Testing
Factors to Consider when Implementing Automation within New Feature Testing
Factors to Consider when Implementing Automation of Confirmation Testing
Verifying the Test Automation Solution
Verifying Automated Test Environment Components
Verifying the Automated Test Suite
Options for Improving Test Automation
Planning the Implementation of Test Automation Improvement