This course is intended for Network Planners, Designers, and Engineers who require an understanding of RADIUS and TACACS+ operation.
It is assumed that delegates will have a working knowledge of TCP/IP and a familiarity with Microsoft Windows Server 2008. Some familiarity with Cisco IOS would be an advantage.
2 days. Hands on.
This course is available on site only. Please call for details.
This two day practical course that covers the theory of RADIUS and TACACS+ protocols. Network Policy Server (NPS) on Windows 2008 Server will be used to implement Connection Request and Network Policies to allow users access to network resources. A windows based TACACS+ server will be used to investigate the operation of this protocol to provide authentication, authorisation and accounting for users accessing network resources.
There is an option for an additional one day workshop to configure and test IEEE802.1x authentication using Windows 7 client as the supplicant, a Cisco switch as the authenticator and an NPS server to provide the authentication. Delegates will configure the Cisco switch and NPS server to use the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP).
Key objectives include:
- Describe and explain RADIUS protocol.
- Describe and explain RADIUS messages and attributes.
- Describe and explain the differences between clients and users.
- Describe and explain the TACACS+ protocol.
- Compare the operation of RADIUS and TACACS+ protocols.
- Describe and explain operation of Network Policy Server (NPS) in Windows Server 2008.
- Describe and explain Connectiion Request and Network Policies.
- Use Windows Server 2008 logs to troubleshoot RADIUS operation.
- Use NTRADping test utility to test RADIUS operation.
- Describe and explain TACACS+ message format and operation.
- Configure Cisco switch/router as a RADIUS client and test operation.
- Explain and configure standard and vendor specific attributes on NPS Server.
- Configure Cisco switch/router as a TACACS+ client and test operation.
- Describe configure and test RADIUS and TACACS+ accounting.
- Describe and explain RADIUS Proxy operation.
- Configure and test RADIUS proxy and load balancing using NPS.
Configure and test RADIUS.
Load Sharing RADIUS Requests.
Practical sessions use Windows 7 clients, Cisco switches and Windows 2008 server.