This intermediate course is for storage administrators responsible for the implementation of storage resources in an SAN environment with hardware solutions and operating systems.
Students should first attend:
- An Introduction to Data Storage - SS05G
- Storage Management Fundamentals - SS06G
... or have equivalent knowledge.
In addition you need to have an understanding of DASD and date sets and how client hosts access data directly or through FICON channels.
Learn about the DS8000 storage subsystem and its hardware components and logical structure for System z. You will configure the DS8000 storage subsystem using a DS8000 Storage Manager GUI and review the DS CLI interface for scripting configuration functions.
- Describe the hardware components of the IBM TotalStorage DS8000
- Describe the architecture of the IBM TotalStorage DS8000
- Describe the terminology and virtualization concepts for DS8000
- Describe the DS CLI interface installation and setup
- Describe the DS CLI interface commands and how to use them
- Describe the SSPC installation and setup
- Describe the DS Storage Management GUI interface installation and setup
- Describe the DS Storage Management GUI and how to use the panels to configure the DS8000 subsystem
- Describe the use and configuration of LPARs in the DS8000
- Describe the zSeries host attachment considerations for the DS8000
- Describe the DS8000 Copy Services interfaces
- Describe performance and tuning for DS8000
- Describe the use of TPC for the DS8000
Unit 1: Hardware, architecture, and virtualization
Unit 2: DS8000 command-line interfaceLabs: CLI commands
Unit 3: IBM System Storage Productivity Center
Unit 4: DS8000 Storage ManagerLabs: Configure the DS8000 using the DS GUILabs: DS8000 Easy Tier: Dynamic volume migration and dynamic pool merge (optional)
Unit 5: Host attachment considerations
Unit 6: Performance, tuning, and monitoring
Unit 7: Business continuity