This course is for web developers who wish to take advantage of the powerful server-side scripting facilities of PHP to develop dynamic database driven web sites, using a relational database system such as MySQL.
A basic understanding of HTML web page development at the code level, (i.e., beyond usage of the purely graphical facilities of Frontpage, Dreamweaver, etc... ).
Previous experience of a programming language would be an advantage.
4 days. Hands on.
This is a practical course with extensive hands on sessions. It provides delegates with the knowledge and skills to develop PHP web applications which interface with web database servers using the SQL language. Whilst primarily based around the most popular web database, MySQL, PHP's database independent API's will also be covered allowing access to almost any database system.
Delegates will learn how to design and create database tables and use the power of SQL to develop dynamic web applications, such as user driven content management systems, online document and photograph libraries, catalogue and diary applications, online booking and e-commerce applications.
On completion of the course delegates will be able to:
- Describe and use the basic program and data structure features available in PHP
- Output dynamic web content from files and databases HTML web pages
- Process user input from forms
- Identify and authenticate users and establish an interactive user session using PHP session management and/or cookies
- Develop and create database tables and access them using the power of the SQL language
- Describe the implementation of a secure e-commerce application
Integrating PHP into HTML web pages
PHP variables and datatypes, arrays and Control Structures
Processing user input from HTML forms with PHP
Functions, variable scope and Include files
Handling files, directories and folders
File uploads from a form
Creating database tables
Inserting and updating data into tables
Selecting data from tables and integrating into PHP web pages
Authenticating users and maintaining state with PHP session management
Sending email from PHP
Accepting secure credit card transactions
Object Oriented facilities in PHP
Managing PHP and SQL security considerations