This course can be valuable for anyone who needs to write basic SQL or Transact-SQL queries. This includes anyone working with data as a data analyst, a data engineer, a data scientist, a database administrator or a database developer. It can also be useful for others peripherally involved with data, or wanting to learn more about working with data such as solution architects, students and technology managers.
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
2 days. Hands on.
This course will teach the basics of Microsoft's dialect of the standard SQL language: Transact-SQL. Topics include both querying and modifying data in relational databases that are hosted in Microsoft SQL Server-based database systems, including: Microsoft SQL Server, Azure SQL Database and, Azure Synapse Analytics.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Use SQL Server query tools
- Write SELECT statements to retrieve columns from one or more tables
- Sort and filter selected data
- Use built-in functions to returned data values
- Create groups of data and aggregate the results
- Modify data with Transact-SQL using INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE and MERGE
Module 1: Getting Started with Transact-SQL
Introduction to Transact-SQL
Using the SELECT statement
Get started with SQL Server query tools and writing queries in T-SQL
Module 2: Sorting and Filtering Query Results
Sorting query results
Filtering the data
Sort and filter data returned by SELECT queries
Module 3: Using Joins and Subqueries
Using JOIN operations
Write queries with JOIN operations
Write SELECT statements using subqueries
Module 4: Using Built-in Functions
Getting started with scalar functions
Grouping aggregated results
Module 5: Modifying Data
Inserting data into tables
Modifying and deleting data