This is a basic course has been designed for database users and applications developers.
A basic knowledge of the UNIX or Linux operating system would be greatly beneficial.
This course teaches delegates to write queries using ANSI standard Structured Query Language (SQL) with IBM Informix extensions. Attendees will start with simple queries to select rows from a single table, then advance to more complex queries that involve subqueries or multitable joins. They will learn how to use functions and expressions in SQL statements and how to format the query results. In addition, delegates will learn how to perform insert, update, and delete operations, and how to select rows that contain large object and other non-standard data types.
Course objectives include:
- Describe the basic structure of an SQL SELECT statement.
- List and describe the Informix data types.
- Explain the relationship of tables in the Informix demo database.
- Select rows from a single table.
- Use various SELECT statement clauses.
- Obtain query results using aggregate functions.
- Use built-in functions in the SELECT list and ORDER BY clause.
- Write queries that use simple and complex joins between tables.
- Write queries that use subqueries and temporary tables.
- Perform insert, update, and delete operations in a query.
- Control the format of query input and output using functions and operators.
- Use SET EXPLAIN to determine how a query is optimized.
Unit 1: Introduction to Structured Query Language.
Unit 2: Informix Data Types.
Unit 3: The Demonstration Database.
Unit 4: Single Table SELECT Statements.
Unit 5: SELECT Clauses and Aggregates.
Unit 6: Built-In Functions - Date and Time Functions.
Unit 7: Joining Tables in a SELECT Statement.
Unit 8: Complex Joins.
Unit 9: Subqueries.
Unit 10: Temporary Tables.
Unit 11: INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE Statements.
Unit 12: SQL Optimization.