This intermediate course is intended for Informix Administrators, Database Administrators, and Application Developers.
Delegates should have a working knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL).
This course introduces attendees to the basic concepts of data management within Informix.
During this course delegates will learn how to:
- Determine correct data types.
- Create, manage, and maintain tables and indexes.
- Use the Informix optimizer and understand how works.
- Manage data.
- Use the SET EXPLAIN feature to determine query effectiveness.
Course objectives include:
- Select the Informix data types appropriate for storing your data.
- Create and maintain databases, tables, and indexes.
- Estimate size and extent requirements for tables and indexes.
- Create index strategies to improve performance.
- Create and maintain table and index partitioning (fragmentation).
- Implement referential and entity integrity.
- Manage database and table modes.
- Manage violations logging.
- Describe how the optimizer builds an optimal query plan.
- Use the SET EXPLAIN feature to capture optimizer query plans.
- Use directives and environment variables to influence the optimizer.
- Optimize the query plan using UPDATE STATISTICS.
- Manage end-user concurrency.
- Use permissions and roles to manage data security.
- Create and use views.
- Manage smart large objects.
- Create and manage triggers.
Introduction to Informix Terminology.
Informix Data Types.
Creating Databases and Tables.
Altering and Deleting Databases and Tables.
Create, Alter and Drop Indexes.
Managing and Maintaining Indexes.
Table and Index Partitioning.
Maintaining Table and Index Partitioning.
Cost-based Query Optimizer.
Updating Statistics and Data Distributions.
Managing the Optimizer.
Referential and Entity Integrity.
Modes and Violation Detection.
Introduction to Stored Procedures.