This course teaches RPG IV programemrs the advanced features of RPG IV.
Experienced RPG/400 programmers who have recently migrated to the RPG IV language will also find this course important to their continued skills development.
Basic programming experience using RPG IV is essential. Delegates must be able to:
- Code subfile-processing programs in RPG IV.
- Employ error-handling features of the RPG IV language.
- Describe the basic concepts of ILE and modular program design.
- Use free-format coding techniques.
- Write date-processing routines which employ built-in functions.
These skills can be developed by attending the following courses:
- RPG IV Programming Fundamentals Workshop for IBM i - AS06G.
- RPG IV Programming Intermediate Workshop for IBM i - AS07G.
On this course, delegates will recieve comprehensive exposure to some of the advanced features and functions of the language for experienced RPG IV programmers.
This course is the third in a series three, intended to teach existing programmers who are new to RPG IV all they need to know to go from beginners to advanced RPG IV programmers:
- RPG IV Programming Fundamentals Workshop for IBM i - AS06G introduces RPG IV and lays the groundwork necessary for further development.
- RPG IV Programming Intermediate Workshop for IBM i - AS07G continues training by introducing some additional features available to RPG IV programmers.
- This course builds on the skills and RPG IV experience developed in the previous courses by addressing the advanced features necessary to get the most out of RPG IV.
Objectives for this course include:
- Use address pointers and user spaces in RPG IV programs.
- Write database triggers in RPG IV.
- Develop ILE modular objects and package them in service programs.
- Explain the purpose of ILE Activation Groups.
- Explain the behavior of Error Handling and Percolation in ILE.
- Code an ILE Error Handling program.
- Call iSeries APIs from RPG IV programs.
- Describe how to use CGI in RPG IV for web applications.
Basic API Programming.
RPG IV Features.
Leveraging DB2 UDB Database Features.
Advanced ILE Topics.
ILE Error Handling and Condition Handlers.
ILE CEE API Programming.
Basic Web Enablement.
Other RPG IV Compiler Features.